Skip to content
If you would like more information or are unsure whether we can help you, please call our practice manager Clare Hadland on
We are always happy to answer questions and discuss your situation fully without obligation.
- Do I need to be referred by my GP or other health professional?
- You do not need a referral. We are an entirely independent, private psychology practice so you can contact us directly on 01993 779994 or firstname.lastname@example.org. In most cases, after your initial telephone call, our Clinical Director or one of our Senior Consultants will call you back to discuss your needs in more detail before making an appointment. If you are referred by your GP, he or she will contact us and – with your permission – provide details of your case. We will then contact you directly to arrange an appointment.
- When can I have an appointment?
- Our normal working hours are 9.00am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. We do offer some appointments outside these hours on request. Consultants are usually booked between two and three weeks in advance so early booking is advised. We always do our best to accommodate urgent appointments wherever possible.
- Where can I have an appointment?
- Most psychological assessments and appointments take place at our centres in Stroud and Witney. We do not have wheelchair access and there are stairs at our Witney centre. If you have walking or mobility problems, please contact us to discuss your particular requirements and we will try to help in any way we can. For clients with limited mobility or who cannot travel to our centres, we can arrange to come to the home or other location but travel time and/or mileage charges will apply. If we have not previously met a client we would ask for pre-payment by BACS (Bank Automated Credit System) prior to an initial home visit and we may undertake a security check for the safety of our consultants.
- Who can join the consultation?
- We understand that clients may be nervous or apprehensive on their first visit to see a psychologist or psychotherapist and we are happy for you to bring someone with you. You will find our centres in Witney and Stroud very warm and welcoming and completely non-clinical. We have a small waiting area at our Witney practice where your companion may wait in comfort.
- Will I need an assessment?
- All new clients are invited to attend an initial psychological assessment during which the consultant will take time to establish the details of your condition and history in greater depth and to discuss a suitable treatment plan. Assessments usually take 11/2-2 hours and are chargeable at the applicable hourly rate.
- What payment methods do you accept?
- Charges vary depending on the nature of the treatment and which consultant you see. All charges and payment terms are explained fully before treatment commences and every client is required to sign a standard contract agreeing terms and conditions. Payment is due on the day of your consultation unless otherwise agreed and can be by cash, cheque or BACS – we do not currently accept credit or debit card payments. Where a third party such as an insurance company has agreed to fund treatment, we will invoice them on a monthly basis.
- Insurance Policies
- Clients covered by private health insurance should contact their provider prior to the start of their treatment to check whether they recognise our practice or the individual therapist. Clients need to obtain an authorisation number from the insurance company and establish how many sessions and the level of funding their insurance provider will cover in that policy year. We will usually invoice the insurance company directly for our costs although some companies require the client to pay and then reimburse them for part or all of the costs. Our practice is accredited by CIGNA HealthCare and recognised by many other insurance companies.
- What if I cancel my appointment?
- If we can re-schedule your appointment on the same day as your pre-booked appointment then there will be no cancellation fee. Our normal cancellation period for any pre-booked appointments is five working days. Any appointments cancelled less than five days beforehand are, unfortunately, fully chargeable as it is unlikely that we would be able to re-book the time set aside specifically for you. In case of unforeseen illness, your treating psychologist or psychotherapist would be available to offer you a telephone consultation, chargeable at the applicable hourly rate.
- What if I am late or need to leave early?
- We do ask that you try to keep to your appointment time but, wherever possible, if you arrive late we will always try to give you the time that you have booked where the consultant’s schedule allows. If you need to leave before the end of the pre-booked time, the full appointment will be chargeable.